11.24.2009

Adobe AIR App review: ImageSizer

In my line of work I receive a ton of photographs from my production team and I often need to batch process large numbers of images at once. Usually it is a combination of re-sizing dimensions, reducing quality, and changing the file name.

I've been using an incredible application for this called Quickscale for some time and I'm in love with it. It's is superbly integrated with OS X and has a very "Mac" look and feel to it. It is simple to use and incredibly powerful. It also is beautifully fast and reliable and has a plethora of options. Unfortunately, after my recent upgrade to Snow Leopard, the app is no longer allowing me to set the JPEG quality properly. I've contacted the developer and am hoping for a fix soon.

In the meantime, I still have work to do! So I went looking for a free substitute application to fill the temporary void. I happened upon a great Adobe AIR application called ImageSizer. Not a lot here in terms of advanced options (more on the way according to the developer) but you can import files, resize, modify quality settings, and export to folder and such. The app is fairly solid, quick, and small and for being free it is a perfect solution to my current situation. I experienced a few crashes when pushing the software but nothing I can't deal with. The thing I'm happiest about is the final exports from this app. I've been getting an average size reduction (on already saved for web JPEG files) of 25%. I'm talking an 80KB file turned into a 20KB file!

I'm not saying I'll be replacing Quickscale anytime soon but in a pinch, this app is a life-saver. Here is a before and after set for inspection.

Before

After


No comments:

Post a Comment

share

Bookmark and Share